Local doctors and Ers are reporting many flu cases. One pediatrician office had 5 cases in one morning!
HOW ABOUT SOME HOLISITC FLU PREVENTION AND TREATMENT?
- FREQUENT HANDWASHING is your best prevention. Wash WITH SOAP before you eat, before and after using the toilet, after going to public places like grocery stores and airports. The soap should contact your skin long enough to sing the refrain of JNGLE BELLS twice! Be mindful to not touch your eyes, nose or mouth with your fingers during flu season!!! **
- Thieves oil – is an herbal antimicrobial used for generations. It is available in hand sanitizer, foaming hand soap, spray, household cleaner, and essential oil. When cleaning with Thieves oil cleaner – don’t forget the germiest places of all: your remote control, cell phone and your keyboard!
- Vitamin D – What is your current level? While we like to see levels at 55ng/dL, it is advisable to increase your vitamin D levels during times of illness and stress. We have vitamin D available in three delivery forms: liquid, pill, and transdermal. **
- Make sure you are taking your probiotics, or additional Echinacea, andrographis, or β-Glucan. During the holidays, get plenty of sleep and minimize overindulgences!!
- The makers of Oscillococcinum flu treatment now have a homeopathic flu preventive. Called Influenzium, it is taken as 5 pellets once a week for 4 weeks (same day each week is best), Wait 3 weeks, then take another 5 pellet dose. Can repeat 2 months later to renew treatment
TREATMENT – ADULT DOSES (PATIENTS OVER 100 LBS.)
- At first symptom, boost vitamin D to 50,000 twice a day for 2-5 days, Vitamin C to 2-3000mg every 2 or 3 hours and take our favorites herbal remedy Biocidin 30 drops every 8 hours for 1-2 days until better, or Oscillococcinum Adults and children 2 years of age and older: Dissolve entire contests of tube in the mouth. Repeat 2 more doses at 6-hour intervals. If starting late, use two time daily for three days.
- Eat the traditional foods – onions, garlic, and chicken soup. The chicken soup cannot come from a can or a box. It has to be the home-made kind; the kind that turns to “jello” when you leave it in the refrigerator. Make sure that the chicken soup you make has plenty of extra garlic and onions.
- Flu packs – if still sick after a couple days, we have flu packs available for purchase. Each pack contains zinc, 50,000IUs of vitamin D, a probiotic, zinc and iodine to thin mucus. Take 1-2 times daily, get 5-10 packs depending on where you are in the flu cycle.
- Saline gargle and nasal lavage / neti pot** – make sure you are using salt water, or salt water that has been fortified with a probiotic, colloidal silver or grapefruit extract.
- For decongestion – we have several products available. We have D-Hist, Sinatrol, Core Sambucus (an elderberry herbal), and Eucalyptus Radiata (an essential oil).
- For fever – we have Traumeel (as a pill or transdermal lotion), Viru-Chord and Flu-Tone (both homeopathies). If you use Tylenol, be sure you also take glutathione and never take Tylenol if you are too sick to eat.
Please note: While the temperatures have been dropping outside, there is no scientific evidence that being cold will make you catch a cold.
**We have another handout for more information.
If you think that you DO need a prescription, call within the first 24 hours of your symptoms. After the first 24 hours, the prescription drugs (i.e. Tamiflu) are ineffective. Even so, as best, Tamiflu results in a 1.3 day reduction in the median time to improvement. And, in prevention, it reduces incidence of laboratory-confirmed clinical influenza from 4.8% for the placebo group to 1.2% for those taking Tamiflu for prevention.